Saturday, February 9, 2013

Just another bit of proof something is watching out for me.

I am by no means a spiritual man, nor am I a religious man, far from it. But I do believe there is something, some power or guidance, that helps me out along my life. Back in January I got yet another gleaming sign of this power in action, no matter how random it may be, proving its always watching out for me.

In January I had a friend who went up to Michigan to see a friend who was having a rough go with the new year, so I asked them to keep an eye open for vintage games and things in thrift stores and other gaming stores that I wouldn't personally be able to check out, given the 300 plus mile distance. After my friend had struck out at every thrift store I kind of felt let down, but at least they tried. Later I had one more trick up my sleeve, Craigslist!

I checked Craigslist and saw the normal, inflated stupidity I see locally, which didn't surprise me in the least. But among the bullshit came a gleaming diamond in the rough; a Sega Game Gear with 3 games for $10. I shot off the email and waited to see when my friend could pick it up!

..Nada! Not a single fuck was given that day, or ever as a matter of fact. The seller never removed the listing, nor did they reply to my email. So my friend returned home empty handed, as did I.

Maybe 2 weeks after that, still sore from the lack of even a simple "Sorry, this item has sold." email, I was cruising the Goodwill Outlet store when it unleashed yet again a good find! Not as big as it has been, but good enough to make me completely forget about the snub from the Michigander Craigslist ad. Not one, but two Sega Game Gears, missing the battery doors, but they were both in good shape, proving that the Craigslist deal fell through so I could get a better deal elsewhere.

One of them was the much cheaper Majesco "Core" Game Gear and the other was the original Sega version. Again, both were missing the battery doors but both were in good shape and worked perfectly! I already owned a Game Gear and a handful of games, but these were both in better shape than the one I originally bought a year ago.

Well it seems that the hand of fate, guidance or whatever you will call it, wasn't done yet! Because a week after that I found yet another Sega Game Gear at the Goodwill Outlet store. Although this time 1/3 of the screen doesn't work. But I love to tinker with shit and if I make it worse it was $.79 a pound, but if I repair it I may be able to repair any others that come my way.

I don't know what it is, perhaps I'm just misreading luck, but it certainly adds up in my mind that something is looking out for me. Whatever it is, I'm grateful to have it on my side. It makes the video game hunting a lot more interesting when I get such great surprises out of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment