Sunday, December 30, 2012

And so we begin anew..

Well I had been pondering it for a while and finally decided to kill the youtube channel and start posting more Goodwill outlet finds here on the old neglected blog. Now, the Goodwill outlet store has been going through a slump lately, so I don't know how often I will be updating this, but I will try. So we begin with something I picked up a few months back.

The Goodwill outlet store is rife with treasure hunting goodness, digging through bins without care, dangerous glass everywhere that you could easily slice yourself open with, and I have, and just general wonder of what you will uncover next! A few months ago I found a seemingly untouched metal case, once I opened it up I nearly had a nerdagsm. Inside was a fresh looking Palm TX mobile organizer.

Sure the thing is old, sure its outdated and there are plenty of things on the market that are way further along, have much longer battery life and generally are better devices, but I've always been into older technology, hence the retro video games I adore. It didn't work at the time, so I just sat it in a drawer and waiting to find the charger cable to get this thing up and running. I happened to find a USB cable, but it needed a separate charging cable, still I waited.
Until just yesterday when I happen to find not only the official hotsync cable for the Palm TX, but also a charger that seems to be working quite well! I plugged it in and waited for it to spring to life, which it did. After doing a factory reset, because I'm not an asshole that wants to rummage through someone else's personal files, I did some customizing and continued to let it charge.
My only issue is that it may need a new battery, as the battery life literally drains off this thing by about 10% per minute. Maybe a good long charge will take care of that, or perhaps it was abused as a young PDA and will need a battery replacement. Either way I find it fascinating because its older technology, but it still has utilitarian uses that I can take full advantage of!

No comments:

Post a Comment