Monday, February 11, 2013

Goodbye to You[tube]!

Over the past 3 years, give or take some months, I've been an avid collector of video games, systems, etc. And not just retro stuff, but as I've kind of showcased here I'm a collector of almost anything that has to do with video games, in general. So when I felt this little blog wasn't enough I decided to start my own channel on Youtube, spurred on heavily by the number of already established Youtubers who already did what I wanted to do and had inspired me in some form.

So after a year of trying it for myself and watching people go from nothing to the top, watching the top crumble and fall, as well as watching myself go absolutely nowhere, I saw Youtube for what it is. A social feeding ground for people who wank off to their favorite Youtuber and after they've finished they write some poorly spelled, most likely due to the post-orgasm tremors, rant about how they hate the person and video they just wanked to.

But beyond all that Youtube is a popularity contest, how much ass can you kiss, how much shit can you pile on your nose to choke down any bit of pride you may have had beforehand, to become what people want to watch. Obviously this isn't the case with all channels, but as I watch the upper crust, I see what idiots they become when they sit behind a camera just to try and get someone to admit their stupidity was entertaining. Something I never did, which is probably why I never went anywhere.

When it came to the Youtube Gaming community, there were hundreds if not thousands of good channels on there to compete with, a lot of them hosted by genuinely interesting people who had interesting facts and information that was, again, genuinely fun to watch! But there were a few channels that just bored me to sleep, yet these people went from small nobodies to huge in no time, and it seems it was because they were willing to network by pimping themselves out and sucking enough dick to make it happen.

The most common way of getting noticed is to post the same comment over and over on as many videos as you could; "Great (whatever)! I really enjoyed this video!", things of that nature. Another was to do trades or send gifts to other Youtubers, knowing full well they would do a "package" video and your name would be dropped to the mass of their subscribers. The last is just to post videos as often as you can and do all three things above, just make sure they can't escape your face or your channel.

When I commented I honestly felt what I said, I rarely commented. I sent one Youtuber a video game they said they got for X-Mas one year when they were a kid but mentioned they couldn't find it; I knew where one was CIB for cheap, so I bought it and shipped it out, that Youtuber has yet to make a video about it, 6 months on, and hopefully never will! I posted videos twice weekly when I had stuff to show, because I enjoyed showing it off and I enjoyed the 1 or 2 people I was entertaining.

I may be boring, sure, but it seems the reason I never went anywhere was because I value my pride more than I value some fleeting celebrity on an internet based, self published TV program. Do I miss making Youtube videos? Yes. When I picked up stuff this week I got home and opened up the webcam program as I usually did, but quickly shut it down and just went to playing the games I had bought instead.

I guess in terms of "celebrity", I'm a nobody, I was raised a nobody and I'll die a nobody. But in terms of reality, I am who I am, proud of who I am, I won't break my back for anyone other than myself. If I like you, you know it. If I hate you, you know it. And if you don't like me, well go fuck yourself because I'm doing just fine without you.

1 comment:

  1. IntellivisionDude here.

    Ya Youtube is tough. There is no denying that. Even though i have 1,200 subscribers, my average video still only gets 50-100 views from those subscribers. On rare occasions 200.
    Most of my views come from outside my subs. Like my gameplay videos and such. They all get views from random searches and stuff.
    The problem with "pick up" videos is they rarely and i mean rarely get any extra views from outside your subscribers. So if they aren't watching then your screwed.
    Don't think i'm trying to persuade you to stay or anything. But you gotta like what your doing. And i enjoy doing the videos no matter if they are watching or not. And sometimes you just have to give it time. And hiding your older videos doesn't help. lol
    I no doubt love the videos i have that have mega views, but at the same time i am disappointed only 1% of those views came from my loyal or not so loyal subscribers.

    Peace out Viking Dude Beard Sir.

    ReplyDelete