Thursday, March 2, 2023

The Mini Series: 1590a Enclosures

As I was working my way through fixing, adjusting and enclosing old circuits that I had built in the previous years, I reached the Muff Fuzz clone, as I previously showed. I knew it would fit into a 1590a style enclosure, as well as the Little Black Buffer clone I had built, but the best deal I could find on 1590a enclosures was a three pack. This meant that I had to build a circuit strictly for the last one. Or would I?

As I continued to work on my circuits I came across my Guyatone Zoom Box clone. This circuit has a lot in common with the DOD 250, MXR Distortion Plus, and the Morley MOD-D1B, but this one sounded very breathy and lacking. After I realized the LM741 chips I bought were mostly junk, it made sense as to why this circuit never sounded good. In a moment of experimental curiosity I soldered two of the junk op-amps together and tested the circuit. It's not perfect, but it's far better than what it was. Then I noticed just how small the footprint of this circuit was. If I was careful, I could shoehorn this little bastard into a 1590a. So I did.

Doing so was a real pain in the ass, I'm not going to lie, but after some serious planning and testing I finally managed to get it in, and functional. I'm pretty sure this isn't anywhere near a 1:1 sounding clone of the original Guyatone Zoom Box, but it's still something that I've built and managed to fit into a 1590a. Now I have a total of four pedals, I guess you can say, that fit into 1590a enclosures. While I prefer the 1590B or 125B, I do see the benefit of having something like a buffer or even a boost pedal in such a small formfactor to fit on a pedalboard and preserve space for bigger pedals.

Top: Guyatone Zoom Box Clone, Muff Fuzz Clone, A/B Switcher.
Bottom: Little Black Buffer Clone.


No comments:

Post a Comment