Sunday, November 26, 2023

Heading to Oblivion

I'm a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, or to be more accurate I'm a massive fan of Skyrim and I would like to give the other games in the series more attention. I've tried to play Morrowind, but I hate the combat system. I've played tons and tons of Skyrim, because it's Skyrim. I used to play ESO, but I've since given up on that. Now, when it comes to Oblivion, well, I've owned the Game of the Year edition (for PC) for quite some time. Every so often I'll install it and roam around aimlessly, but I get bored and give up soon thereafter. Admittedly I think I'm spoiled by having played Skyrim first.

Since I've finished Dragon Quest III, I decided I would make Oblivion the RPG I try next. After installing it I loaded up some old saves and quickly realized I had totally forgotten every key command. After a few minutes of randomly punching keys to see what did what, I felt confident. Once I felt I had a fairly good grasp on my controls I went to work actually trying to accomplish things. I found out where Thoronir was getting his discounted items, and took care of the problem. I did a few more odds and ends so that I could buy the shack in the Waterfront District, then fully furnished it. After having played Skyrim this little shack leaves me wanting a bigger place. Since I took the key off Agarmir I might see if I can take over his place. He doesn't need it anymore.

I've also gotten into the arena stuff, because it reminds me a bit of the first Fable. I'm really enjoying the game, more so than I have before. Now if I could only get the combat system in Morrowind to be less of a one out of a billion chance at hitting I might like it too. The only problem is actually nothing to do with the game, but more that the game crashes after an hour or so of gameplay. For some reason it's only this time after installing it, I've never had this happened before. It's really annoying and sometimes it corrupts the last save. Needless to say I'm in a habit of saving often while playing. The quests keep me busy and roaming freely is now a byproduct of actually accomplishing things. I'm glad I stuck it out this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment