Thursday, November 2, 2023

Thank You Tayda Electronics!

I've debated making an entry about my appreciation for Tayda Electronics, but every time I did I was afraid doing so would ultimately cause something to go wrong. I know I've mentioned them in a post I did over at TheVintageGamers.com, but I'm not sure I've talked much about them here. Tayda Electronics offers a ton of electronics parts at very reasonable prices, and what made those prices even sweeter was their super saver shipping. This shipping option could take up to 30 days, but parts were so inexpensive I found the wait to be well worth it. I didn't need my parts fast, I just needed my parts. Often times it would only take about two weeks to arrive, but when it would take the full 30 I feel that was mostly on the part of the shipping partner holding on to the package for almost a week. In early 2023 this option was discontinued and the more expensive shipping options were all that was left.

When the super cheap shipping option was removed I felt as though it was all over. How was I going to get the parts I needed? With Tayda I knew they were working with reliable suppliers and if something did slip through, which I've never encountered, they would to make it right. It took a while but I was able to find a few reliable sources on Amazon. I know I've talked ad nauseum about how many fake TL072 ICs I have, so I erred on the side of caution when it came to buying things like that from there. Potentiometers and resistors tend to be ok, but I have had some absolute dud potentiometers come in. After some testing I did manage to find reliable suppliers for resistors, potentiometers and op-amps, so everything kind of worked out, but I still wasn't getting them anywhere near as inexpensively as I could from Tayda.

In rare instances I reached beyond even what Tayda offered, like when I bought genuine J201 and 2N5457 TO-92 JFETs. Thankfully Guitar PCB made these small batch orders painless, with reasonable shipping. Even so, I still missed ordering from Tayda, but $13+ to ship $5 worth of stuff just couldn't be justified in my mind. I would go to their website and use my shopping cart as a shopping list of things I needed to order from somewhere else. Well, now Tayda has a new cheaper shipping option. It's not as cheap as the original, but it's much better than the other two options and it arrived in ten days. That's something I can live with! I just want to thank Tayda Electronics for finding a shipping option that works for those of us who don't buy in massive quantities, and giving us a much more justifiable shipping cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment