Monday, October 30, 2023

Life Without Internet, AGAIN!

Yep! Early Thursday the internet went out yet again, and didn't returned until Monday the 30th. In that time I started playing Dragon Quest 3, which has been fun. For years I've had the Game Boy Color version of Dragon Warrior 3, but I didn't want to stare at a tiny screen for hours on end. When I found a translation for the Dragon Quest 3 remake for the Super Famicom I decided that would be the route I took. I really missed getting stuck into a classic RPG when the daylight rests early and the Sun's heat wanes. My ultimate goal is to get back to DQ8, because I bought a copy in about 2010 and played quite a bit of it, but it felt weird not having played the first game. I quit playing eight and took on the first one, in all its antiquated glory. I really did enjoy it. I also enjoyed the second one, so the next logical step was three, but it took years for me to get around to it. Now that I'm playing it, I wish I had done it years ago. There are a ton of things in my life I wish I had done years before I actually did. Life lesson, kids!

Another thing I wish I had done years before I actually did was building guitar pedal circuits. I've said it before, but this desire started long before I ever soldered anything. I ran across BYOC's website and wanted a kit, but never bought one. After the messy end to 2019 I decided 2020 was going to be my year, and it was, at least in terms of starting pedal clone builds. On October 26th I built the 40th clone circuit of the year, The Dane, which I'm finding to be just another overdrive. Now, I opted out of adding the boost and lows control, so I might be missing out on a whole set of dynamics. It's not a bad overdrive, it's just simply an overdrive. On the plus side, should I decide I need the boost later, tagboard effect's layout included a separate layout for that as well, so it's always an option.

Time without the internet has also given me a bit of perspective, which I'm starting to believe is a bad thing. Back in September I built a slightly modded CMAT Mods Butah clone, which I've dubbed the Blues Master MKIII, and while I like it, I wasn't sure what exactly I was going to do with it. That is until my brain had too much time to think, instead of being clogged by the internet, and I've decided to make it the blue channel on my own Browne Amps Protein style clone. I'm super excited to get the green channel built because I've always wanted a Nobel's clone. I've decided that must be why I built the Butah clone; to become the blue channel to the Green channel I didn't even know existed until after I had already built the Butah clone. Funny how things work out.

The tiny little builds are still set up for November and December, as the first of November fast approaches. I believe I already see a date for the November build, this weekend as a matter of fact, so I'm hoping the weather and internet hold out so that I can get the first one done and report back. Sadly the December build it going to be quite a bit more difficult as I want to build it on a specific date. This year wasn't just about mass building, it was also about building on dates that mean something to me. I have accomplished a few of those, but December 14th or 23rd seem like they're going to be just too cold. However, that's why I'm saving the smallest build for December. Even if I need to do it indoors, it's a simple enough circuit I could throw it together quickly. We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment