Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Double Treble!

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm addicted to treble boost circuits. I can't explain it, I don't know why, I just am. Maybe because the majority of them are simple to build. It's not completely that though as I just love the sound of a treble boost. None of my amps are particularly dark. I guess maybe a top end shimmer seems to connect with me deep down in my soul. I can't fully explain it.

As the 2024 build season continues on I find myself still searching for circuits to build, and the exceedingly simple Vox Treble Booster crossed my path. Super simple, super low components and this particular layout gave me a reason to use parts I'd never used before. My collection of 1/8th watt resistors were going unused, as were my collection of ECB transistors. After finding the tiny little scrap of stripboard I needed I threw it all together. This one doesn't use a potentiometer, so that's even better! I plugged it in and let it sing to me. It is truly amazing.

The next one is a bit of a modification that, admittedly, I'm not sure I got right, but it does a bit of what I want it to do. The Joyo Roll Boost has been on my radar for a while, because it's another super simple circuit. I decided to lower the input cap and see if it works. Well, it does, kind of. The Joyo Roll boost seems to take inspiration from the MXR Micro Amp circuit, and with a lower input cap I find there is a nice shimmery top end. The boost throws my amp into overdrive, as it should, but sustains that treble I'm so fond of, without cutting out all the bass. If anything I'm finding it a bit too bassy, but it is what it is. I like this little one too, but not as much as I love the Vox Treble Booster.

These are circuits 107 and 108, and I still have four kits ready to go, and an additional four projects that still need parts. When I planned to stop at 100, I was dreadfully wrong. That's not a bad thing though, because it's keeping my mind busy. Who knows what else I'll be throwing into the mix, but I'm super glad these circuits worked out. I may tinker with the input cap on the Roll Boost, or I may just leave it alone. We'll just have to wait and see. I have another build planned for the fourth of July, just to have that date in my logs as having built a circuit on that day. I'll post about it on the fourth. Stay tuned. Or don't, I don't control you. I appreciate you though!

No comments:

Post a Comment