Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Let's Talk About Electra Distortion Clones

When it comes to the Electra Distortion circuit I'm very late to the party. I mean so late that the party was 30 years ago, but I still showed up in a Hawaiian shirt with my RSVP in hand type late. I have always been amazed at how simple circuits can sound so good, and so different with small tweaks, and the Electra circuit is a great example of that. I've unknowingly built a few in the past, because I was so unfamiliar with the topology. I just thought they were really good sounding little circuits with very low component counts. I guess we all learn at our own pace.

Lately I've been in a bit of a transistor usage mood, because I have so many of them laying around. I have a good stock of 2N3904s, and some that I consider specialties such as BC108s, BC109s and 2N2222. While most people probably wouldn't consider them anything special, I think any transistor that costs more than a dime each certainly is. I've been looking for almost any excuse to use up the D1302 and C1740 transistors that I have, because they're perfect for an Electra circuit. The only slight problem is they're ECB pinout, but because Electra circuits are low component circuits, all I need to do is swap a few things around and it works just fine.

The latest one I have built is a COT50 clone. Again, I'm impressed with the sound that comes out of this little circuit. On the list to still be built I have a Lovepedal Woodrow, Tchula and a Mythos Golden Fleece. All of which I can't wait to get started on, but I have to pace myself or I'll be building 100 circuits just this one year. I swear I would, if I'm not careful. Last time I took a count on how many projects I had left I was sitting at a total of 45 this year, the same as last year. Since then I've added even more. Will building over 50 a year serve any purpose? I don't know, but there's no excuse not to, I guess. If you know of any good Electra circuits let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment