Thursday, August 29, 2024

Modern(ish) Retro Gaming: Playing PS1 on PS3

The original Playstation was one of my favorite gaming eras. When I was a teenager I bought a Playstation with my summer job money, only to quit that job, because I was a dumb teenager, to spend more time playing my Playstation. Remember kids, don't bite the hand that feeds you, nor quit the job that buys you video games! I spent countless hours playing games such as Driver, Grand Theft Auto, Auto Destruct, FF7, Breath of Fire III, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, the list goes on and on. Don't even get me started on demo discs, as they sometimes harbored a gem that turned out to be better than the finished product. Sure the graphics, by today's standards, are quite janky, but back then things looked amazing. I do miss the era of jagged polygons.

For the past few months I've had the urge to play Gran Turismo and Resident Evil again, but I didn't want to set up my original Playstation to do so. It's shouldn't be a mystery at this point that any PS3 can play PS1 games, so the quickest and easiest way was to just use my PS3. At first I was really annoyed by the dithering that ruined the field of view, but I found out that can be turned off. The issue then became the need to turn it off every single time I boot up a PS1 game on the PS3. The other problem is it doesn't seem to allow Gran Turismo to choose whether the control settings should be digital or analog, which I also need to change every time I boot that game. Except for some reason I need to change it for every single race too. Still, I'm actually having a ton of fun! Well, once I beat all the dreadfully shit license tests on Gran Turismo I was having a ton of fun.

With all of my PS1 games currently just sitting there, I think this newfound interest in using my PS3 to play them may give life to a lot of them that I've been wanting to play through. Crime Killers and Wild 9 are two that I've been wanting to play for a while, I've just put it off because I wasn't sure how well the PS3 would emulate the PS1. There are some RPGs I've wanted to get back into such as Eternal Eyes and Battle Hunters, or I might try out RPG Maker and create my own. Maybe even play some Hot Wheels Extreme Racing. It's not a perfect solution, but I think my PS1 consoles can take a rest and let the PS3 do the heavy lifting for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment