Saturday, August 3, 2024

A Treble Problem

I can't stop building treble boosters! There, I said it. They're such simple little circuits, and I love how so few components can make such an impact on tone. At this point I've built about a dozen treble boost circuits. It all started with the original Naga Viper circuit I built, then the Screaming Bird only made me want to build them even more. I've built a Rangemaster clone, and my dream come true in the Diaz Texas Ranger. The Cornish TB-83X clone is really nice too! There's just something about treble boosters that I love, even though I don't use an amp that really needs one. They just sound good to me. They add something to my tone that I really enjoy.

As I've said before the journey originally started when I wanted to build a Diaz Texas Ranger, but didn't want to mess with the switchable input caps. I decided to poorly modify a Naga Viper to get kind of the same effect. Then I decided to build a Screaming Bird clone to get some December builds done, as it was a super simple circuit I could build indoors on a cold day. From there things just went a bit crazy with how much I like them. I decided to finally mess with the switchable input of the Diaz Texas Ranger and I'm super glad I did because I love that circuit. I also decided to build a Rangemaster clone, which is the Grandfather of all treble boosters. My most recent treble boosts have been the Vox treble boosters, which I liked so much I built two of them.

Now I've decided to scour the layout websites for as many treble booster circuits as I can. I came up with two Brian May style treble boosters, a FAL treble booster, a Hornby and Skewes Treble Booster, the Maxon treble booster, and the Throbak Strange Master. Is that enough treble boosting? Sure they don't sound drastically different from one another, and they do the exact same thing; they boost the treble. Why do I feel the need to build so many? I couldn't tell you. Maybe it's the creator complex of feeling like I've actually done something with my life once a circuit is done, coupled with the fact I truly like what a treble booster does to my tone.

Recently I built a transistor version of the EHX Muff Fuzz, to see how it stacked with the op-amp version I built a while back. I think it worked out pretty nicely. This has me wondering what it would be like to stack a pair of, or a few, treble boosters together. Too much like an icepick to the ear drum, you think? I honestly don't know how pairing treble boosters can be a good thing, but I guess at some point I'll find out. For now, I'll keep looking for treble boosters to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment